Tuesday, October 1, 2013

Babbling from our new home.

It is good to be back to blogosphere after a hiatus of nearly a month. It has been an eventful month so far. With S accepting an offer from a chip-maker in Portland just days after our first wedding anniversary and a year of happy home-making, it was time to bid adieu to sunny San Diego and head to the very green Portland. And so during the week of our birthdays, incidentally they fall just a day apart, hubby and me were busy with boxes. Instead of unwrapping gift boxes, we were busy packing our year old home into cartons that would carry some wonderful memories into our new home. The excitement of looking up apartments on the internet, calling in and enquiring about the rent and amenities, the curiosity of trying to know all we could about the new neighborhood meant my visits to fellow blogger's posts became sporadic and my own posts went to pause mode. What's more I even missed my first blog-o-versary, sorry dear blog, I'm sure you understand. I have been babbling all along, but just not on the blog. I hope to catch up with the posts of the blogs I regularly visit within a few days, do bear with me.

After a string of farewell dinners and good-bye sessions with friends including one to the car that I learnt to drive here in the US of A, we flew into Portland on a saturday morning that was exceptionally bright and sunny almost making us feel that we were still in San Diego. The tall green trees that seemed to kiss the blue skies told us we were in the region also known as the "Silicon forest". We drove straight from the airport to our new apartment we had leased out over phone calls and emails. The apartment complex itself was quite different from the one we had left behind in San Diego. The absence of elevators meant we had to haul our suitcases up three flights of stairs. But the excitement of new home in a new place meant we hardly felt any strain. Portland welcomed us with gentle showers the next morning that decided to turn into rain by the evening thus giving us a taste of the uniquely wet and green Portland. In the days to come, I'll share more about this "City of roses" or "City of bridges" that is known as Portland on the globe.


6 comments:

  1. Aha! The joy of moving to a new home. I love the whole process of checking out various options for a home, school, packing, unpacking, decorating... Have made 10 houses my home in 16 years!! Enjoy the experience, Reshma and have a great time at Portland. And yes welcome back to the blogosphere too :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes Shilpa, the entire process is filled with delightful moments :) 10 moves in 16 years, you are a veteran... Maybe I can wait for some ten on tuesday posts about useful tips while moving :)

      Delete
  2. I am so happy to have you back blogging. Your description of the move and the settling down was so good. Please do keep blogging about this beautiful place, the places you visit there and the daily life there. I always love to read about new places.
    Happy Anniversary, and also Happy Birthdays to both of you!
    Wish you the very best in Portland!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your kind wishes Rama :) Portland is indeed very beautiful and the greenery and the rain are its main characteristics. I'll surely write more about this lovely city :)

      Delete
  3. It's great to see you back ... have a great time in your new home, and share with us about the place :-)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for reading the post.
Feel free to share your thoughts :)